Flax Seed Cracker Recipe
I absolutely love these crackers and so grateful I finally found a combination of ingredients that could satisfy my craving for a salty, crunchy snack. I needed an alternative to store bought crackers and chips that contain gluten, artificial colors, flours, dairy, artificial flavorings, corn, and other unnecessary ingredients I need to avoid. I spent so much time testing different seasonings and flavors only to find out I did not like most of them. I like to keep it simple but tasty!
About six months ago I was reading an article written by a natural healthcare provider, he said, "with enough salt you can make just about anything taste good". That statement lead me to realize I had been over complicating my recipe. All I really needed to do was add more salt!
Now I don't use just any salt, I use Pink Himalayan Salt. It is often said to be the most beneficial as well as the cleanest salt available with 84 minerals and trace elements, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and iron, so it does more than just make your food taste better, it is a health enhancer unlike table salt that has been stripped of all its minerals.
The main ingredient in my cracker is flax seeds due to its amazing nutrition profile. When I create a new recipe my first goal is to make sure I use the most healthy ingredients with powerful health benefits.
Flax seeds are a superfood that contain anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids along with antioxidant substances called lignans that help promote hormonal balance, helping to improve digestion, giving you clearer skin, managing cholesterol, reducing sugar cravings and most importantly, they are gluten free.
These crackers are so healthy and taste amazing. It truly satisfies my craving for crunchy & salty.
Flax Seed Cracker Ingredients
- 3 Cups Flax Seeds
- 3 Cups Organic Vegetable Broth (I use my homemade bone broth, or if I don’t have any in my fridge I use organic vegetarian broth. I buy mine at Publix in the soup isle. You could use chicken for extra protein. I make sure my store bought broth does not contain any type of sugar.
- Salt to taste (I use 2 tbsp) I Love Salty! Fortunate for me my blood pressure is perfect! When adding salt start low and add until you have found your perfect salty spot.
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Coconut Aminos – This is a healthy soy sauce replacement that is gluten-free, non-GMO, certified organic, soy-free, MSG-free, kosher and vegan. This nutritious condiment comes with a long list of health benefits which is why it is included in my recipe.) This is also salty so make sure you start out with a little and add until you find your perfect flavor.
- 1 Scoop Collagen Powder (not only does this help everything gel together nicely, but you are feeding your body much needed collagen, especially as we age.)
- Chopped onion (optional) - I tried this one day and I absolutely love it. When I make crackers, I make half with onions and half without.
Place 3 cups flax seeds in bowl
Pour vegetable broth in and stir
Add salt, liquid coconut aminos, 1 scoop collagen powder
I let my flax seed mixture sit overnight. This allows the salt, broth and collagen time to absorb into the flax seeds. The collagen serves two purposes. First, it is super healthy for your bones, skin, and joints. Second, the collagen makes it more thick, making it easier to keep together and spread.
Spread mixture thinly on teflex sheets from dehydrator. This amount of mixture allows you to fill up three trays in the dehydrator. Once you have spread the mixture, score the crackers with a knife. This allows you to easily break the crackers into perfectly portioned crackers when they have been completely dehydrated. I like my crackers thin. Once the top looks cooked and dry (5-6 hours), turn over and let hydrate for several more hours. Please note that cook times will vary due to temperatures.
Notes: Although I cook mine in a dehydrator, I am sure it can be done in the oven on low heat. You would need to check it often to make sure it doesn’t burn.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is a basic recipe that allows you to add anything you want. Add your favorite flavors.